Wednesday 10 June 2015

Baffled, befuddled, and a few other choice words beginning with B

Yesterday was not a happy day. All kinds of things occurred that seemed to conspire against me feeling any kind of smiley thoughts. It started with finding out that an event we were really looking forward to had been cancelled. I only found out this was the case when I sent a message to the organiser asking for start times, how I would get my tickets, and so on. By the return message I got the impression it had been cancelled for weeks but no-one had thought to let me know. An attendee. Who had paid upfront for tickets. Strike one! I'm still chasing the refund...

There was a brief interlude of happy when I caught up with an old friend over a morning coffee and a croissant and a good old chin wag, followed by having my hair did and the most bounciest blow dry I have ever had - quite literally, my hair was bouncing as I walked. Joyous hair! 

Further unhappy events occurred later that afternoon when I received a message from a business man informing me that he had contacted someone about our job and they would be calling me soon to make an appointment. Erm, what? This business man came and gave us a half hearted quote weeks ago and then nothing. Zero communication. We took the silence to mean that he really didn't want the job and looked elsewhere. How is this a way of going about your business? I mean seriously, HOW? Customers are not mind readers. We don't know unless you tell us, by maybe contacting us (a small hint is all we need) to express your interest. Completely baffled, and I would admit to slightly mortified, we had to text him back to tell him we had chosen to take our business elsewhere. Strike two! Safe to say that I've not had a reply from that awkward text...

Next up, let's talk parcels. As in ordering things online and then needing to return them. It seems to me that it's the norm these days that return postage will be free. Or you can Collect+ or some sort of courier equivalent. I am therefore befuddled when not one but two things I have recently ordered and then needed to return have forced me to pay the return postage with no compensation. Frankly I think this is bollocks. When something is free to deliver, how can it then cost money to return? Share the love people! I'm looking at you SportsDirect and Anthropologie (and don't even start me on that one - who only supplies one curtain - ONE?! Curtains come in pairs!) Strike three! 

The final strike (come on down number four!) came at theatre where yet again the bas**** masking tape had started to roll off our painted set AGAIN! Nooooooo! How many times must we paint those bright orange walls? Oh and then I spilled paint on a freshly laid carpet, mainly due to overhearing the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in all my time there, and had to run around like a loon with kitchen roll and a damp cloth (thankfully it came off). 

What a day. What a bloomin' day. I sincerely hope that today turns out better. So far, so okay, as the electrician who said he would be here at 9 am actually turned up! And his ballpark quote is well within our budget. And he seemed like a nice guy (though slightly too sniffly and snorty for such an early hour) so here's hoping we have successfully found one business man to do some work for us. Go team! Come on Wednesday, give me all you've got! 

No comments: