Wednesday 16 July 2014

The 39 year old woman who walked down a really steep hill (and back up again)

I haven't really talked much about the new job for as in true Dizz tradition there have been several, erm, let's call them issues, to iron out. As yet they are still unresolved and I don't really want to go into it too much as it's pretty rubbish and just thinking about it gets me down. So in the spirit of true avoidance let's move swiftly on. 

One of the nice things about the new job is that I get to go out and about and do stuff. This was absolutely unheard of in libraryland and is complete and joyful novelty to me. So yesterday I had a meeting in Richmond, which if you've never been is a delightfully pretty town in North Yorkshire. There's a cobbled square in the centre, and twisty turny streets, there's a castle, and lovely old buildings, and oooh just all sorts of scrummy delights. It's really been a long time since I've been there and I was super looking forward to going to this meeting. Since I didn't know how long it would take, and I was testing out my Tommytomtom satnav for the first time I gave myself a good hour to get there. There was only one incident on the way there when Tommy the satnav decided to come unstuck from the windscreen and literally flew around the car. It was quite tricky whilst still driving to rescue him and stick him back but I managed valiantly (will my life ever be incident free...?) 

I actually arrived about half an hour early and it was a beautiful sunny day so I knew exactly where I wanted to be, right next to the river:

To get there you have to walk down this twisty turny road, which I did at speed, in my funkay black with gold shiny toe cap shoes and my id badge flapping with every step. It was so worth it when I got there to just take a moment, be all zen, and watch the gushy little waterfalls and take in the gorgeous scenery. (Oh and let's just take a moment shall we to admire the camera on my phone which takes gojus photos that are probably as good, if not better, than my camera)

Too quick, my little 5 minute zen break was up and I realised I would have to bev it back up the steep hill to walk back through the town and make my way to my 11am meeting. And so I bevved. At high speed. Up the twisty, turny, steep bank. Had a really lovely meeting with two very lovely council ladies, before very reluctantly getting back into my car and heading back to the office. 

Fast forward to this morning. A bit of a fitful night's sleep to be honest. Work my way to getting out of bed...OH MY GOD MY GLUTES (polite way of saying but-tock muscles) I am like a 90 year old woman! Every time I got up out of the chair at work today I had to do this like slow straighten up before hobbling towards the door. Shhhhhex-ay! Even now, as I sit here typing, I have a little bit of dread that I will have to get out of the comfy armchair. Oh dear. 

It was absolutely, positively, worth the but-tock pain today. In fact I'm hoping to persuade Wavey to join me for a visit there again soon as I would like to go back and enjoy more, but at a much more sedate pace, minus the but-tock pain. And with an ice-cream. There always has to be an ice-cream...
 

No comments: