Wednesday 20 November 2013

On the other side

Something really strange happened today. I was in the library, as I am quite often, it's kind of necessary when you're in assignment deadline lockdown, and I saw the big boss. This in itself is not that unusual, I quite often run into people that I used to work with all over campus and when I go in the library I always end up talking to someone! This time though, the big boss told me to "come on through". As in through the glass doors. Ooooh it was SO WEIRD going back through there. For 12 years of my life I walked through those doors and looked out of the glass and day-dreamed about what life outside there was like. Well, 8 months later I know exactly what life is like and it's bloody brilliant!

Back through those doors today? It really felt like I was trespassing. Don't get me wrong, it was good to see people and get hello hugs and look at Christmas countdowns but all the while I was thinking, when can I get out, back out there, to MY side. I'm pretty sure I spent most of the conversation glancing over my shoulder towards the glass doors, which is actually pretty rude, but I really couldn't help it, I felt so claustrophobic as soon as I was back there, like they were somehow going to make me put my incredibly heavy bag full of laptop and books down, go back to my old seat, and get on with some work. Ugh the horror! *shudder* 

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that all of this is real. I don't have to go back there when I'm finished with my course, I really don't have to go through those doors again. Good job too. I like it so much better on the other side.  

No comments: