Sunday 29 September 2013

Moving on

Just a couple of weeks ago marked the five year anniversary of Dizz and Wavey, and on Christmas Eve it will be the four year anniversary of us living together. When we did the whole moving in thing the hardest thing was trying to squeeze two houses into one. Basically I think we took what we considered the essentials (anything kitchen related for me, and anything power tool related for him) and found homes for everything. All the other stuff (and I really should say ALL with a capital A) got put into the loft where of course we promptly forgot about it. Fast forward to today and we are preparing for some electrical work to be done and need to make space in the loft for our electrician to work. By making space I mean sorting all that stuff out. Eep! 

The loft was previously off limits for me as we had no proper ladder and the only way in and out was to kind of jump into and out of the hole. These two things combined with my incredible clumsiness would have led to some sort of major incident and possibly involved broken bones, thus Dizz has stayed away from the loft for four years. Thanks to some other men who came into our home to do work we now have an incredibly snazzy loft ladder, with a rail and everything. One can safely climb the ladder, sit on ones bottom at the top, and shuffle to a standing position, whilst trying to avoid the GIANT spider webs and the giant spiders that live in them. Double eep! 

Fast forward the rest of the day and we have not only made space in the loft for the electrician to come and work his lighting magic, but we have also taken one full car load of stuff we no longer need to the tip, and have a nice tidy pile of stuff to go to the charity shop:
It's almost like the day I moved in...if you were to multiply the stuff in that picture by about a million trillion...ahem. 

Sorting stuff out was really good. I found all sorts of things I'd forgotten that I had. I was baffled by why we had put a bin bag full of towels into a box that we then sealed up and left for four years. I've chuckled over old photos, mainly of my Pops being drunk at various parties we had over the years. And realised that we will never need to buy Christmas cards again if our current stock is anything to go by. I think it's fair to say that most of the stuff that is going out is mine, but let's face it, if it's been up in the loft for four years why do I need it now? And how foisty would a towel be that has been wrapped in a bin liner, in a box, in a hot and cold loft for four years? Niiiiice. 

There's only one potential problem I can foresee. If Wavey is to decide that he's had enough of me and chuck me out onto the cold dark streets *sob* apart from all my kitchen stuff, the giant tv, and the V+ box (as per our prior "agreement", although there could be a skuffle over the tv...) I'll have to start from scratch again. Should probably be on my best behaviour then to avoid that scenario... 

No comments: