Saturday 13 August 2011

Happenings, events, stuff like that...

This week has been a pretty mixed bag really. August is notoriously hideous in our libraryland. I don't know if this is the same for librarylands all over the world but in our's, gawd we struggle. The insanely crappy weather isn't helping with this struggle either. As a result this week it's been very hard to get my ass motivated to get out of bed to get to work where everyone is gloomy and miserable and down in the mouth. What a shiny happy start to this blog post...

In other news this week though, Wavey has been to Paris, the lucky devil! He came back with tales of the offices there and man have they got it right, no wonder our morale is so low! They have 2 Playstation points in their foyer where they're having an office competition to see who can drive round the Nurburgring the fastest. And if they're not doing that they're sitting out in their pretty tree lined courtyard on official breaks sharing a coffee and a cigarette (well it is France) with their colleagues. This my friends is how offices should be. If we had all that going on in libraryland we might be more cheerier folk. I'm thinking of suggesting it to the big boss lady. Just wondering how best to word it to avoid her reply to me including the words "get your coat and pick up your P45 on the way out".

Whilst Wavey was away, Dizz went out to play. Well not really, I went up to see my folks for dinner. Where I had the most delicious dinner of sausages, bacon, beans and new potatoes, followed by my all time favourite, butterscotch flavour Angel Delight. Oh happy smiley day. T'was truly lush.

I also helped to paint a kitchen that wasn't mine.

And went out for several walks. We are so going to be the winning team in the walking challenge!

And enrolled on a Royal Horticultural Society course in yet more attempts to get myself the hell out of libraryland and into a job that actually fills me with joy, makes me smile, and lets me be creative, get my hands mucky and wear wellies everyday for work. It's a winner! I collected the stuff today and am a little scared now that it's actually here. I was really rubbish at science at school. Like really rubbish. What if it's too much for me? What if I turn back to being 15 and get that science blindness all over again? Eeep!

Supported my local village shops by buying not one but two dresses, plus a pair of khakis and a lovely teeshirt that looks like it's never been worn. Oh and I bought some bananaramas from my local greengrocer so all good with the keeping my carbon footprint low there. I now have to decide which of the two dresses I will wear for the races for T's 30th birthday soon. Decisions decisions...

Consumption wise we are super hooked on the US version of The Killing. It's set in Seattle and so far my opinion of Seattle (sorry LG) is that it rains. Like all the effing time! And it's really dark cos they seem to constantly drive around in rainy darky times. One of the characters wears her wellies all the time and I don't think it's a festival chic kind of fashion statement but more a way of avoiding trenchfoot from all the rain. Sheesh, I thought our rain was bad but it would seem we ain't got nothing on Seattle!

Last night we finally got round to watching Frost/Nixon and what an amazing film it was. Very very interesting. We was mighty impressed. And part of it was set in California where the sun was shining, which made a pleasant change from all the Seattle rain we'd been watching.

I'm on book 4 of my Harry Potter marathon before going back to watch the final film a second time. Love it! People keep staring at me on the bus. Either they're admiring my fabulous hair or they're curious why I'm reading HP - go figure.

Totally listening to the second Kitty, Daisy and Lewis cd for about the 4th time today. It's fabulous-oh. And I've requested a mouth organ from Wavey for Christmas. When I informed the Dizz dad of this he got very excited as he can play (and used to play it in the bath when we were growing up - better acoustics maybe?) and has decided that we'll have a band and go busking. A gal's gotta make a penny somehow...Am also listening to the Vintage Trouble cd but only once today and nowhere near with the same obsessiveness as KDL.

Found a giant mound of dog poo near my fledgling pumpkin today and got very cross with the beast next door who is clearly breaking into our garden to do his bizness! I am outraged by this. My poor garden! We have found where he's getting in and Wavey intends to thoroughly block it. He tried to come in when we were in the garden and I went and proper shouted at him to get back in his own garden. Gawd knows how long he's been coming in though, sheesh! Poo in your own garden matey! He knew he was wrong though, he almost looked shame faced as he skulked back (in other words smashed back) through the fence. He is truly huge, a Newfoundland I think! And he hums. Poo-ee!

So kind of a busy week then really. Hope you've all had good times folks.

1 comment:

Librarian Girl said...

Ha ha- that is the thing about The Killing that makes Seattlites CRAZY. It doesn't rain like that! That's just tv-magic for you. I would never live in a place where I couldn't wear fancy shoes 90% of the time.