Wednesday 5 August 2009

Feeling the (vampire) love

You might not remember me blogging way back in December last year about going to see Twilight, the movie. And how much I really didn't like it? Well, a couple of weeks ago I decided that I would read the book and see how different it is. I know, I know. It seems like an odd decision when you really didn't like the film but I often find that book adaptations are usually not that great in comparison to the book itself. Whatever right? It's a woman's right to change her mind!

And so the book reading began. And it's proved highly entertaining! More so because of the crazy lines that are used - Holy Crow! What? Did we suddenly move out of vampire-land and into Batman-land? And descriptions of Edward as being this perfect angel who was just too glorious to resist...it's just so funny!

I reached the chapter this morning when Bella and Edward (spoiler alert if you've neither seen the film or read the book here) headed off into the woods so that they could see how much Edward sparkles (look! the vampire sparkles in the sun!) and also do a bit of flying and running very fast (look! the vampire runs really really fast!) but mostly they did a lot of lusting. So much so that Bella nearly passed out with the lust. Or was that with the running too fast? I was a little confused by this time. And I tells ya, by the time I'd read this chapter I was feeling a little faint hearted myself.

I'm beginning to understand now why 14 year olds are so obsessed with these books. But I'm also a little worried as well. Cos if you're 14 and you're reading about all this lust that's so intense you're going to pass out, it's very likely that you're going to be disappointed by real life. For starters, I don't think you're going to come across many vampires (unless they're on some freaky "I drink blood" website - oh come on, they're bound to exist!) and a romantic entanglement with your average 14 year old boy is not going to result in passing out with lust, unless you've drunk too much to get through said entanglement and have passed out for this reason. Either way, disappointment lies ahead. I was told today that apparently they have a whole facebook page about how no man will ever be good enough cos everyone is in love with Edward Cullen...truly, this is a frightening thing.

And you know what else I found out? The author is apparently a Mormon so how come she's writing about all this vampire lust and using such lines as "holy crow"? It's so bizarre, the whole thing. I'm baffled.com about it all.

But putting all of the above aside, I'm enjoying reading the book. And looking forward to borrowing the other 3 in the series so that I can find out what happens to the lustful teenagers, although strictly speaking one of them is about 400 years old. Safe to say that the only way to enjoy these books is to put aside all sense of reality and embrace your inner teenage angst. I didn't actually have any inner teenage angst when I was a teenager, never mind now as a 34 year old, but hey, I'm going with the (lustful) flow...

No comments: