Monday 5 May 2008

The week in paint

I finished work on Friday to cries of delight as I was heading into a week's holiday. Then again, I am using said holiday to decorate my kitchen and bathroom so it's not really what you would call a holiday, more a kind of deco-day? Does that work...?

First things first: preparation. I started this on Sunday. Emptied out the kitchen, emptied out the bathroom. These two rooms now occupy most of the other rooms in the house. Then the cleaning. Boy. Tops of cupboards? Eeeek! Seriously, is there anyone out there who cleans such things regularly? But I have to admit I was kinda ashamed by how dirty they were. But now they're all lovely and clean and smell of bleach.

Well they did until I started glossing today. Now everything just smells of gloss. But it's all shiny white. Wavey came and helped me pull up my carpet in the kitchen as I am a girl all on her lonesome and my dad was busy and there was no way I was going to be able to lift up washing machines on my own. Turned out to be not as hard as I thought. Not for me anyway as I pretty much stood around and ate my ham butty whilst Wavey unplugged washing machines and fridges etc and lifted them whilst I pulled up carpets and avoided the spider webs that looked more like old lady hair. Yet again with the eek-ing. But no spiders. Weird. Where did they go? They must have heard I was going to be shifting their homes and have de-camped to nicer venues. I did make Wavey a cup of tea. And gave him half my Galaxy Ripple (almost half...) and then my ma appeared with Magnum Maya something or other's so he was well paid in food :o)

Glossing is now complete. Who knew the wood could be that white? Lovely. Tomorrow is the kitchen ceiling. And then start on the evil louvered doors from the bathroom cupboard. Much as I would love to be rid of these doors they kinda come with the cupboard so have to be done. They're currently green. And the bathroom is going to be blue so...gloss them too. It's gloss-tastic!

I'll post a few photos up once I've made some progress. But as everywhere currently looks like a bombsite I think I'll save the before images for just me and those nearest and dearest.

Oh wasn't today gorgeous? Sunshine! Hot sunshine. Lovely. I did briefly consider jacking it all in and just going to enjoy ice cold beer in the sunshine but I diligently stuck by my glossing instead, what a hero :o)

Laters xx

2 comments:

Librarian Girl said...

What the heck is a ham butty? Is that an English thing? Please tell me or I will be frightened.

Sounds like a very productive holiday!

Anonymous said...

Am reading the blog in my lunch hour - keeping an eye open for my boss ... she may decide to pay me in food !

So the next time anyone sees me carrying a large box of pies into my house I intend to claim that its my salary.