Sunday 13 January 2008

The week in films

After much consideration, I'm beginning to think that rom-coms are not my most favourite films. Cos every single time I watch one of them I'm left with that hmmmm kind of feeling; there's no wow factor. That hmmmmm is not good. This week's rom-com disaster was Kate and Leopold. I had high hopes for this one mainly because it has the lovely Hugh Jackman in it, and he wears knee high black leather boots, and breeches (spelling anyone? I mean those tighty-tight trousers that go with the knee high boots), and Meg Ryan, she does rom-com good. But it was...awful. Yep, yet more squirming at how bad it was. So, lesson learned, take rom-coms off the menu for January.

But never fear peeps. I've not been let down by the films. There have been a couple that have really blown me away. First up was Delicatessen. For those of you who haven't seen it this is a French movie by Jeunet and Caro. And it's about cannibalism. But don't be put off by that as it is amazing. They delight in the visual, so much of the movie was spent in wide-eyed awe at how clever they are; I was at one point tempted to clap in glee like a small child at the wonderment of it all. Big yay to Fizz for that recommendation.

Next up was Stranger than Fiction. I was recommended this by D, but was slightly hesitant as I'm a bit hit and miss with the liking of Will Ferrell. But this was a brilliant film. I loved it so much that I've been thinking about it a lot today. It had a great cast for one, and not one of them was bad in it. I think Dustin Hoffman was my fave as the eccentric academic who liked to walk around barefoot. Me likey and would definitely recommend if you lean towards the quirky in your film choices.

Almost as if they know about my hermit month the BBC have been putting films that I haven't seen on late at night so I've been taping them. So from there I saw Churchill: the Hollywood Years which was just a bit odd, and not really that great, but had a few laugh out loud moments so it was okay. And then there was Honeymoon in Vegas. SJP pre-SATC. Me likey. Laughed a lot. And loved the sky-diving Elvis peeps, brilliant.

Finally for the week, I watched Vanity Fair earlier today. Which was not really that worthy. Nice frocks and accessories though!

So that be my week in films! Wow. I feel like I've got square eyes. So tonight I'm sitting here blogging and enjoying music, Wavey's laid out on the floor reading his book, Fizz might be popping round for a cuppa later; a cosy Sunday in this month of few pennies, long days, and rubbish weather :o)


No comments: