Saturday 10 November 2007

The concept of time

Continuing to keep me cheerful through the miserable ear infection, Fizz suggested that we have a games night last night. And we had so much fun that I think it has to become a permanent thing. We played Kerplunk, Game of Life and Jenga. When we started playing I was all like, oh it takes ages to set these things up...it took like 3 minutes. And when we played Game of Life I said, oh we'll never get this finished before Ugly Betty and it took about 20 minutes.

And this is the point of this post. When we were kids and playing these games, it did seem to take an eternity to set up the sticks and marbles for Kerplunk. And I would swear hands down that me and my sis used to play Game of Life for what seemed like days! And I think that I miss that. I do. Time speeds by these days, it really does. I can't believe it's Christmas in 5 weeks! This is bonkers. Seriously, does anyone know where 2007 went cos I can't believe it's nearly over. It is truly astonishing to me. We need to bring back those days when school holidays seemed to last forever, and playing games did last hours and hours and filled up your whole day, rather than that hour long slot before the start of your favourite Friday night tv programme.

Any ideas how we might do this then? A time machine? Some kind of time-freezing machine that lets us slow it down to a reasonable pace? All suggestions welcome, be they sensible or downright silly, bring 'em on xx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure games like Monopoly and Hotel used to take about a week to complete, what's going on in the world?

There must be someway of isolating the drag quality in Friday afternoons at work, and transferring it to the weekend?

fizz said...

Ways to make life seem longer? There's a character in Catch 22 who cultivates boredom in order to extend his perceived life-span. But surely it's better to whizz through life in a fun-filled, dazzling whirl? just skidding to a halt at the end long enough to reflect and think 'OK, that was good, what's next?'

(Sorry about the 'whirl' comment, Dizz.)