Sunday 4 February 2007

a Delia moment

For those of you who were readers of Mocha-Choca you'll know that I would quite often talk about what I was cooking up for tea. This is mainly because I LOVE FOOD. And those of you who know me well know that I also spend a great deal of time eating. So I've had a Delia moment and am blogging upstairs whilst my chicken casserole cooks itself downstairs. I've eaten a lot of casserole. But in my 32 years of life have never attempted to make it before. So today was the day. I had to borrow a casserole dish from my ma as I didn't have the correct receptacle. I've broken with convention and not followed a recipe, I've basically thrown lots of things into the dish and look forward to the end result.

So for those of you who want to try Casserole a la Claire, here's what I put in it:
red onion
leek
carrot
parsnip
courgette
chicken (obviously, it being a chicken casserole and all)
covered it all with boiling water and a veggie stockcube
liberal sprinklings of rosemary and mixed herbs
salt and black pepper it up
et voila, Casserole a la Claire
serve up with mashed potato (yumness) and some sprouts and there you have your 5-a-day all blended into one dish of yummy goodness.

As far as I can see the only flaw to the casserole cooking is that you have to wait 1 and a half to 2 hours for it all to cook. Mind you, having said that, it's all that slow cooking that makes it so blimmin' flavoursome. Mmmm-mmmm, yummy scrummy.

Thus endeth the casserole sermon. Over and out x

2 comments:

fizz said...

So Dizz, sounds tasty, when am I invited round?

I had a Delia moment of my own yesterday - I made fish soup! Those of you who know me will will know that I hate cooking. I mean, there are SO many more interesting things a girl can do with her time.

Because of all the nonsense on the telly about trans fats and omega 3 and 5 a day ad nauseam, I feel pressured into changing my diet of ready-meals and biscuits. I now mainly eat raw stuff and biscuits. But I hate sushi, so the fish has to be cooked - hence the fish soup.

I have so little interest in cooking that I usually burn everything, mainly because I wander off and start making a cushion or a necklace or something. Then 3 hours later the smoke alarm goes off, I dash back to the cooker, horrified at the lump of carbon sitting in the bottom of the pan.

I once tried to make popcorn (in the days before you could get the microwave stuff) and I actually burned the bottom off the pan. Literally. I picked the pan up and the bottom stayed on the cooker, covered in a sort of carbon honeycomb. So the making of fish soup is quite an achievement for me.

It tastes horrible, of course. Nyeh.

Anonymous said...

Me too, i don't cook, nor do i have any intention to do so, the most i make is Pasta, i did make Dizz carrot and corriander soup last week, (but my husband had to chop the vedge, as 'i'm sure Dizz would not want to eat severed fingers'!!!!

I burned a boiled egg once, - yeah i know, i didn't know it was possible either!!!!!
Rxx
Dizz - i have a nice little casserole dish you can have, apparently martins mum thinks you can never have enough casserole dishes, i however think you can!