Sunday 11 February 2007

big mama

I have this list of things that I always thought were things I would never do. Friday saw me do one of the things of that list: shop for maternity wear. Let me hasten to add that I am not the big mama in question, actually the mama isn't that big either, but she's getting there, hence the need for maternity wear. So we hit the first shop and find some pretty bargainous things. I'm okay in there cos it's clothing of the usual variety, just longer and more spacious. And totally bargainous cos it's in the sale, all good is what I say, the champion of budget shoppping.

The second shop however revealed some more interesting things, and by interesting I mean that my knowledge was seriously lacking. Did you know that they do special tights for when you're having a baby? And they have tops that they actually call nursing tops? They also had what I curiously thought was a v.short black strapless top. I picked it up joking with R that she should buy the wee strappy top and show her bump to the world...she quickly informed me that it's not actually a top, it's a bit that you put round your middle to cover your bump...riiiiight says Dizz, nodding, how odd.

I could go on with what each shop revealed but I won't cos it was mainly just me demonstrating total ignorance of maternity wear. The funniest bit by far was one dress in TopShop that can only be described as the Von Trapp family meet the smock top brigade in a shim-sham of brown nastiness, sheeesh it was hideous! When R put it on and emerged out of the changing room we fell about laughing. I mean seriously, who is going to buy that? Even R who is pregnant looked like a marquee in it!

We did succeed in finding a few things but I have to tell you peeps, the maternity sections are seriously lacking. I don't know what I would do if it were me, but then I suppose it's ultimately a matter of comfort over fabulous style at the end of the day. They don't have the same disposable fashion that I enjoy. Good job I'm not going to be a mama then.

And how good was I? The only thing I bought was lunch, and that was very yummy indeedy. It's really easy though cos everything in the shops is nast-ee. We are talking smock-top-tastic. In every single shop. Huge jersey, huge patterns smock tops that would even make Kate Moss look preggers. I say no, no, no.

Ta-ta x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just want to add too that if i was ruler of the world, i'd make maternity clothes fit pregnant ladies, not size 6 women who perhaps ate a little too much lunch!!!