Monday 29 January 2007

lost in translation?

Continuing on from the birthdays post and the request made by Fizz to show the b*****k plant I now have to explain. So I already said that I got lots of lovely presents for my birthday. One of the loveliest had to be my Orchid plant from Wavey. I've had people buy me flowers before but I've never had any that are quite as stunning as this plant. I was a very smiley girl when I brought it home. And decided to share my joy with Fizz via a text message. The reply that I got from her went as follows: did you know that orchid means bollock in ancient greek?

Those of you who know Fizz (or should I say know of her) are aware that she is the brains of this operation, so whatever she says I am liable to trust; after all she does have a brain the size of a planet. But after basically ruining my beautiful plant for me, she told me a few hours later that it had been a total lie! By then of course it was too late, the plant was tarnished and is now forever known as the bollock plant. And just so you can all understand how much of a meanie Fizz really is, I've put a picture of my plant onto the post so you can see how stunning it is (I did have one of the actual plant on my phone but the fecking thing isn't playing again, but let's not go off in that direction)

Orchid/bollock, you decide:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

That is the exact one, I kid you not, it really is that gorgeous. So come on then Fizz, let's see you get out of this one... x

2 comments:

fizz said...

OK, so when I said it meant bollock, I wasn't exactly lying, I just wasn't 100% sure. Now I am. Here's the blurb from wikipedia:

Orchids get their name from the Greek orchis, meaning "testicle", from the appearance of subterranean tuberoids of the genus Orchis. The word "orchis" was first used by Theophrastos (372/371 – 287/286 BC), in his book "De historia plantarum" (The natural history of plants). He was a student of Aristotle and is considered the father of botany and ecology.

Am I redeemed? Or am I still the evil world-domination-plotting baddie out to spoil birthdays? Mish Dizh, you undereshtimate me.

Claire said...

In true Victor Meldrew style-ee: I don't believe it! Yet again Fizz proves the brain the size of a planet moniker is well deserved.

I say pah!

I have to whine though. Why'd they do that? Why call such a beautiful plant that? I am confoosed.com